Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Is Wrestling Worth It?

Wrestling is a very demanding sport physically, emotionally, and mentally. Being a wrestler takes its toll on your body which makes your body weak and not able to play for many years.

Usually wrestlers don't play much longer after college because their bodies are so tired from the constant fluctuation of weight gain/loss and muscle, forcing their bodies to regurgitate food or starve, the intense workout regimes, and the wear and tear of muscle and bones from being hit and/or injured over the years.

Wrestling is not one of those sports that you can play for your entire life, your body can't physically keep up this strain. So years down the line what happens to wrestlers bodies? Can they still play? Do they have chronic injuries from when they were wrestling? Are they out of shape? All these things are important to see if wrestling affects, in a harmful way, the post-wrestlers future physically, mentally, and emotionally.

Mark Burner who is now 55, played wrestling for Yale University and suffers everyday from his years of playing.

“I have really bad knees”, said Burner “I can't run very well because I have arthritis in both knees. When I was wrestling I was forced to starve myself to get into the lower weight class, I basically gave myself an eating disorder and now it's a constant struggle.”

Burner is hurting not only physically but mentally and emotionally because eating disorders are not only physically damaging but they are very much physiological. Eating disorders cannot be fixed by telling someone who is anorexic to eat or a bulimic to stop throwing up or a compulsive over eater to not eat so much. They have to overcome their mental self, to change their mentality of their body image and to see that they are perfect the way they are.

Most people think that men would never have an eating disorder because why would they have low self-esteem of their body image. But once wrestling is over for good, post-wrestlers are thinking they are ugly or fat because they no longer have 8% body fat and they resort to the one thing they can control—food. This is a life long condition, it never goes away the only way not to die from it is to be very conscious of your disorder and control it.

Wrestling has also affected Burner physically by all the injuries.

“My knees have actually gotten worse and I'm considering getting new ones.” said Burner “I also have a bad lower back and ankles. I loved wrestling but it definitely has taken it's toll on my body especially in recent years—I'm really feeling the beatings from when I was younger now being older and bigger.”

Wrestling is a great sport when looked at with an iced cold eye. But when you looked at the deaths of young men who are trying to lose weight for the wrestling weight classes or the serious affects of eating disorders that some may have the rest of their lives or the psychological pain they are put in by wrestling that will affect them later years, you think—is wrestling really worth it? Because I don't think it is if someone can change the rules so they are not so men do not need to put them through so much pain then I would approve of it. But risking a mans life for a sport hardly seems worth it.

1 comment:

  1. It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...
    It is cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it's come to health issues and getting cured. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like, Herpes, Parkinson, Diabetes, Hepatitis, Syndrome, Cancers, HIV, Epilepsy, Infertility, and any kind of disease & Infections Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching, honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..    

    ReplyDelete